My night last night:
- Fight rush-hour traffic to pick up the kids
- Get the patient updates (they've been sick most of the week)
- Stop at the house to pick up my Costco coupons
- Go to Costco to spend $150 on stuff that we literally will throw away (diapers, wipes, tp, paper towels, formula...)
- Unload kids and stuff at home
- Get Lily her "juuk"
- Check on painting touch-ups in basement that were supposed to happen during the day
- Find 3 or 4 obvious misses from the painter :(
- Get Lily a "naak" (fruit snack)
- Start scanning the cupboards for something to make for dinner
- Get Lily a yogurt (she can actually say that word really well!)
- Start dinner
- Lily reminds me (aka throws fits) every 90 seconds that she's "hunky hunky hunky hunky hunky hunky hunky hunky hunky" (hungry)
- Check on Tessa (still sleeping in her carseat)
- Do 3 days worth of dishes while dinner is cooking
- Serve dinner
- Lily pours dinner into her hair
- Tessa wakes up
- Bathe Lily
- Bathe Tessa
- Put Lily to bed
- Check out pictures the girls had done last weekend
- Make Tessa's cereal
- Go to the store for Seuao, who decides that he REALLY likes yogurt and needs some for lunch tomorrow (he ate all 7 I bought last weekend)
- Put away groceries
- Get Seuao dinner #2 - he didn't like dinner #1
- Sit down
So, I just sit down - Tessa is back asleep, but stirring. Seuao's watching something or other on tv, and Tessa starts to fuss. I look at him with the "are you going to get her?" look... And it begins....
Apparently I don't understand what hard work is.
I know my husband has a difficult job. I know he works long hours and it's a physically demanding job. That's why I usually don't mind typical evenings like last night - I don't get bothered by taking care of him and our family.
I do get frustrated when I have spent literally every minute of the evening taking care of him and our kids and our home, to have it all completely discredited because I have an office job during the day.
I'm not one who usually needs validation. That's not why I'm writing this - I don't get my feelings hurt easily. Last night I did though.
After our "discussion" Seuao went to bed. Tessa wanted nothing to do with sleep, so I was up with her until about 11:45. Guess who woke up at 4:30 this morning? And guess who had to get up with her? She still doesn't feel good and fussed and cried unless I was holding her until about 7:00 a.m., 15 minutes before we're supposed to leave.
Seuao and his 7 hours of sleep went off to work this morning, and I still felt bad. Part of it is that I don't feel good either and am on antibiotics. But I'm sure most of it is the perpetual lack of sleep I'm suffering from.
However, tonight after work, I am heading up into the mountains with two of my favorite girl friends to GET AWAY!!!!!!! We have been talking about this for about a month or so, and all babies are staying home with daddies! The timing couldn't be more perfect - maybe Seuao will be reminded how much work it really is to take care of these kids. I know he won't be trying to juggle laundry, dishes and house stuff too - taking care of the kids will be the extent of his duties, but that's ok.
I'm going to get some of the breathing room that I desperately need. I know when I come back tomorrow I'll be prepared to be a better wife and mother, so I don't feel bad at all for leaving. But, I'll admit - I am also looking forward to hearing how much "hard work" it was to take care of these kids!
8 comments:
RAch I totally can know hard it is. I know just how difficult your kids can be.Let alone take care of the house.
I am glad you get to take off.
Maybe we should go for a couple of days and then he will really know how hard it is!:)
Good for you! And I know how hard it is to get the planets in alignment so you CAN get away. Enjoy.
Sorry to say I am not sure they ever really get it.
You really do deserve a day or two off. I am really glad you have the opportunity to do it. I think I would have been a happier wife and better mom if I had had a few of them through the years. Now that I think about it, I could still use a day away every now and then.
Be happy and enjoy your trip!
Man alive. Sounds like a fun evening . . . or not. I'm glad you can get away this weekend--you NEED it and you DESERVE it. I had a somewhat similar evening a couple of days ago, and even now I know Allen doesn't understand why I was angry. Are you going with Hilly and Jodi? Tell them hello for me. Love ya!
Rachael, I am so excited about being blogging buddies. Your blog is adorable and you are so cute!
Reading this post makes me nervous about having more kiddos, but hey-- I'm not far from you... come vent anytime!
Ha- That's what I was thinking today when Jason was taking a nap and I was trying, but the baby was fussing- so I had to get up!!
MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment