CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Simple Things

So last night I was discouraged. After a depressing recap of the days events when I picked up the kids (blow-outs, tantrums, whining, no napping, out of food, medicine and formula, major coughing, bullying, grumpiness, etc. - bless Lexy's heart!) we got home and I just didn't have the energy to deal with these sick kids anymore. It has been like this for months - we've had a few good days, but generally for the last 2 months at least one of them has been sick.

I know that there are moms out there with children much much worse off than mine, but I was indulging in a pity-party last night.

Lily was howling "No! No! No!" to everything I said. Tessa was whimpering and whenever I left her eyesight, she would burst instantly into tears. I was trying to get dinner made, fold laundry, feed Tess, etc. etc. etc. Seuao was at physical therapy, and I don't know why I thought that would be a good time to try to get Lily to take her (new) medicine. This time I put it on a spoon with chocolate syrup.

"Lily, do you want some chocolate?"

Lily looks at me suspiciously (she has no trust in me anymore - I've tried to fool her too many times). "No! No! No!"

"Lily, Mommy has some chocolate for you!"

I dip my finger into the chocolate on the spoon to give her a small taste at first - she wasn't fooled. "No! No! No! No! No! No medicine Mommy!"

I wrestled her down to the floor and tried to pour the chocolate-augmentin concoction down her throat, and the results were a sticky chocolate disaster. Lily entire head was covered with chocolate goo, as were my pants, along with both of our hands and arms. Lily was in hysterics, crying, and I about was too.

I gave up, washed the both of us off and finished making dinner. After dinner, I had Tess and Lily both semi-trapped, I thought "Ok, now is my chance." I got the medicine out for Tessa who is much better about this whole thing. She fought me a little, but I won.

Lily knew she was next and started shouting "Tessa's medicine, Tessa's medicine!" I just gave it to her straight, and decided that in the high chair is probably my best option. Much more confinement, and we eventually got some down her. Let's hope it's enough to do some good!

I started clearing the plates, and Tessa threw her sippy cup down to the floor. I looked at her and said "Uh oh!" and she just started laughing. Then Lily started laughing. Their laughter fed off of each other until they both were belly laughing like crazy! I sat back down and joined in with them in the chorus of "Uh oh's" and laughter.

It was a reminder of perspective for me last night. I was so tired and weary of fighting my sick kids and their medicine and fits. One simple moment of laughter brought me back to the reality of the blessings I have. I wouldn't trade these little girls for anything. They have blessed my life so much. And although not every moment is sunshine and cuppy-cakes, their laughter and love is what makes it all worth it.

5 comments:

Lexy said...

OH Rach! I didn't mean to get you down with the chica updates. I am sorry. :(
I am glad though that you kind of won the battle and had some enjoyment. I really hope for your sanity that they get better quickly for you. Cause they really are such cute silly little girls.;)When they aren't screaming and sick.

Babelicious said...

I know how you feel. The boys have been losing it from both ends the last couple of days and nights and now Case and I have it. I actually did cry and Buggie went and said Dad, mommy crying and had Case make sure I was ok and now all he wants to do is "nuggle mommy," and somehow that makes it all better.
Lexy, you are such a great sitter. Rach raves about you all the time and truly loves and appreciates you for being much "more" than a babysitter. You always know that someone loves your kids and respects you as a parent when they give HONEST updates!!

Anonymous said...

Having sick kids/being sick is a hardship. Tough to be patient and nurturing when you're worn out. But the day ended on a really happy note! Good for you for joining in!!

Mary said...

Oh, man. What a night. I'm glad it ended on a good note!

Rebecca said...

Maaaan, I have lived that night a few times m'self. GRATEFULLY you had that moment that brought you back to the "blessing" aspect of the business, because on the nights you don't, the guilt eats you alive once you're finally alone with your thoughts. *I had one last night! :(