CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Debate

Well - I've let this lonely little blog slack off in a major way. 

And I miss it.

I keep thinking of things I want to blog about - stories I want to share (and remember!), yet I feel so held back by how far behind I am!  This is not new territory for me - back in the journal-keeping days of my youth, I remember getting "behind" and spending hours and hours catching up.  Of course now I am grateful I made the effort, but blogging feels different.

I am primarily doing this blog as a "family history" of sorts - I have friends who have printed theirs out in lovely hard-bound books, and I too have visions of chapters of my family's history lined up on my bookshelf, so therein lies the debate.  Do I go back and catch up so I don't have a big gaping black hole?  (Insert the myriad of other perfectionistic dilemmas here...), or just acknowledge my slackerness and just move on? 

I also know that others read this blog (if anyone has honestly hung around after this ridiculous hiatus) and catching-up is a considerable pet peeve for some....

Opinions, anyone?

8 comments:

Kate said...

Just start with the present. It's ok if there's a "gaping hole" because the longer you wait, the less likely it is that you'll ever go back, and then you'll have nothing at all. Just have fun with it and write about all the funny things your girls say and do. You'll get back in the swing of things!

Unknown said...

I agree. Just start where you're at. It's too overwhelming to play catch-up. :)

Mary said...

Catching up is hard. You are the queen of catching up; typing it all up and gluing it in your journal . . . and I know your perfectionist tendencies. It's hard to forgive yourself for missing some pieces. But it's okay to move on, too.

Babelicious said...

I had a friend who did this and couldn't stand to have a gaping hole, so she just did a post or two that showed her favorite pics from the last few months and just added a sentence or two about what happened. She did a post with all her kids birthdays and just said...so and so turned 4 and we celebrated with an airplane party.(She just posted ONE favorite picture from the day and moved on to the next child). They had been on a family vacation and she just put the title and said we had a blast in California and posted a few pics. She just did 2 or 3 quick catch up posts and put the biggest moments on there. That's what I would do...put the big moments in fast posts and skip the stuff that doesn't matter....but START BLOGGING AGAIN!!! We've missed you!!

coheiress said...

Hi Rachel! Keep Blogging! I love to read about your adventures and esp to see how much your beautiful girls have grown! love you guys!

something very bright said...

Start with the present. And, just so you know, I kept checking during your hiatus :-)

mommynolan said...

I would just start and then when you can go back and add what you have missed. In other words-do both.
I love you, Your crazy mother!

Anonymous said...

If it feels overwhelming to go back, then just start from here! If you really want to fill in the gap, maybe you'll have to leave out the opining and do it more bullet point style. (Not your style, I know, but at least you'd cover some events you want to remember.) I liked Jodi's comment about catching up. So glad you're returning! :)